Sunday, September 16, 2012

Kevin's Bedroom

Hi everyone!

My latest assignment is to design a bedroom for a special needs child.  Kevin is 7 years old and has Asperger's Syndrome.

Coping with this disease is quite challenging.  He is noise and light sensitive; has difficulty sleeping and walks with a rolling gait.  Kevin also LOVES his computer.

Knowing all this,   I have had to build in some special features to address these needs.

I will:

  • Do some structural changes and add soundproofing all around!
  • I will re-do the room with a monitor so his parents can listen in when they need to be aware
  • The lights will be on sensors and be activated by motion.  There will also be dimmer switches.
  • The room will be simple and uncluttered so he can move within the room well
  • His chairs must have arms as they will aid him in sitting and rising.


Let start with color:

I am using an analogus color scheme:  Based on Munsell theory,  it is 5PB 5/2; 5PB 7/2 and 5YR 8/2. (Gray; Blue and a Brown/Beige)
And, my trims will be in white.

The room will be very dark and cozy as Kevin is highly sensitive to light  - I may have to drop down the values as I get the paint samples on the wall...we will see. This is mid-range though so it may work.

The drapes will be black out drapes and will have the ability to cover the entire wall of windows in his room.
I will also you black out shades underneath.

Below is the drapes I am looking to install - dark gray velvet which will match the color of the wall paint.
As mentioned, they will be lined and will allow no sunlight.  The overall aesthics of the room are modern and clean lines.  I don't necessary want that kid, "cutesy" look but more a look that is youthful and that Kevin can grow into as he will probably live with his parents for many years to come.

Below are some velvet drapes that I found on West Elm.  I believe these will work well - good color and have the modern look. Also, very rich, luxurious and are SOFT for Kevin's sensitivity to texture and dislike of prints.

Velvet Grommet Window Panel – Iron

 Banks Pool

This is his relaxing chair - I love the shape, and it has arms.  It has a good modern vibe yet the color is subdued and in the color pallette  I have chosen.

peekaboo clear rolling two shelf

This is the CB2 catelog - I will use it as Kevin's night stand.  The higher height will let him reach objects easily and the shelves will allow him to store books and other items.  It is made out of a strong acrylic so if he tips it by mistake, it will not break.  Plus it is a cool way to use a object in a different way than was originally attended. It has wheels so we can always move it around easily.

ErchalTableTorchiereS12

Love this lamp - it will emit subdued lightenting that will not hurt Kevin's eyes.  Still cool and modern

Well,  I think that is it for now!

I just wanted to give you all a taste of my new bedroom design for Kevin and his family.

Cheers,
Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment