Sunday, September 2, 2012

My First Blog and My First Blog Entry Ever!

Hello everyone;

I'm KatHare and I'm starting my new blog for Introduction to Interior Design class... this should be FUN! I feel very official!

Mid-Century Modern House Hunt

My first entry will be about my current hunt for a mid-century modern home in Chapel Hill, NC.

I've always loved the clean, retro look of mid-century modern as does my husband.  We recently decided to go on the hunt to purchase such a gem.

And, we found one we love!!  It is in the Lake Forest Shores area and is totally not live-able... hurray...a design person's dream come true (and my husband's aboard!)

Below is a photo of the once gem that needs a little, okay - a lot, of polish.
409 Ridgecrest Dr, Chapel Hill, NC 27514
The house was built in 1967 and is an architecturally significant mid-century contemporary design by Harriet Gordon.  Home features cathedral ceilings, exposed beams, cypress walls and heart pine floors. The house is in need of great repair and renovation but is structurally sound.

We've reached out to an architect to make sure the structurally sound claim is true AND to see if the total renovation is within our budget...this is so exciting as I always dreamed of building a home. 

I hope the report is good and we can actually put a bid in play!

I love the story about Harriet Gordon.  She was married in the early 1950's and her husband died in a freak plane crash in 1958.  She had 4 boys by then and decided she was going to make a living renovating homes in Chapel Hill.  She "wrangled" land lots from neighbors and went on a building frenzy completing approximately 15 homes in that area.   She is still alive and living in California - probably in her late 80's.   

Wouldn't it be cool if I could connect with her on this project?

Well, that's it for today.  I'll keep you posted!
KatHare

1 comment:

  1. I think you should definitely connect with her! How amazing that she was still alive. If you could get corespondence going with her, i think it would make the house that much more impressive! Congrats, and good luck!

    Karyn

    ReplyDelete